Wednesday, 19 June 2013

I Don't Like Change

I know change is supposed to be a friend to the frugal folk, but I hate it. I know it "mounts up", I know it smells nice but after you've opened the jar then what? How do you turn it into something meaningful? The jar is brilliant when it's full, there is no better doorstop.

I've taken to spending my change rather than saving it, especially 1p and 5ps, the 2ps come in handy for the arcade on the pier when we want some cheap fun. We have a change jar for 10p, 20p and 50ps but anything less than that I find tricky. We always end up with lots of 1s and 5s and no sensible way to get rid of them, there's no branch of my bank in the town, to my knowledge there's no coinstar machine, so there's no real way to spend this money. I see it as a trade off, I might not be counting the pennies but I am saving the tens. It still mounts up, but it doesn't weigh me down.


2 comments:

  1. I try and spend mine too. I wouldn't use Coinstar. They take 7.5% commission when I last looked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one. I think if push came to shove I couldn't hand over that 7.5% into a machine, you're quite right.

      Delete