Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Sister of the Menu Plan

For the past three weeks or so we haven't followed the menu plan at all. We've kind of been looking at the menu plan, accepting it's there but then running alongside it and eating something else. I know I've said it before but that's why I love the menu plan. We've been eating earlier, later, quicker or easier, same ingredients with a different outcome. 

At the minute I have three go-to meals when I don't want to cook or don't fancy what's on the menu. Jambalaya it crops up frequently on the menu plan, it's usually a placeholder when I can't think of anything else but when I want something easy there it is. Singapore noodles, we bought a jar of noodle sauce from Waitrose for a quid at the start of the year, I love it really tasty and a jar lasts for aaaaaaages, just need to bung in some veg, noodles, noodle sauce, soy sauce and a squidge of tomato puree and there it is. Third and final enchiladas, spices, couple of tins of beans or beans and a bit of veg, wrap up top with tomato sauce and bung it in the oven. They all taste great but are hardly any effort. Jambalaya is the cheapest and most versatile of them all, the others aren't rock bottom bargain meals but they're better than a kick in the face.

In another change to eating habits I have been eating raw celery. I have always claimed celery to be foul unless it's chopped up into the teeniest pieces and bunged into a stew. The other day I couldn't be bothered to chop up the end of one stalk so I ate it and it was pretty nice. Breaking down the walls of fussy eating wherever I go!

2 comments:

  1. I love raw celery with brown sauce squeezed down the centre of the stick.
    Your go-to meals sound delish. Egg and chips is ours.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, that sounds like a very peppery and delicious snack Mum.

      Delete