Sunday, 28 April 2013

The Outdoor Room

When we moved here the garden was a state, it still is. Father and Dan have chopped back all the shrubbery, so we've gained about 9ft extra width but the birds have lost lots of hidey holes. Last time they ventured out there Father found a silver birch we didn't know we had and many many many crocosmia (which is a bonus as I am after a retro garden).

We're now balancing the desire to have a nice garden with the lack of drive to spend time doing the work and the wish to spend as little cash doing it as possible. I'm not at a point where I want to grow things from seeds, we don't have window sills here so there's nowhere to have seedlings growing (thankfully, it would drive me nuts). I find it hard to buy bedding plants because I know I won't appreciate them for the short amount of time they'd be alive. Dan has very few opinions either way but he has an emotional response to alpines. So we have a lot of them.

We also have bulbs, bulbs are great aren't they? Inexpensive (we bought ours from Home Bargains), once they're in that's it, they just take care of themselves and they look great. What could be better? Alpines aren't the same as that but they do offer good value imo. You buy a tiny plant for a couple of quid, stick it in the ground with some stones then in a couple of months it's big enough to chop up to make another plant. Bargain!

We don't have much in the way of landscaping yet. When we started the alpine bit of the garden Dan found three big white stones so they offer a bit of excitement for plants to grow over but that's all for now. The compost bin building might happen next weekend so maybe Father will have his thinking cap on and make something from the assorted junk we have lying about the place.

Any frugal gardening tips are welcome, although as discussed I'm not at a point where I'm keeping old kitchen roll tubes or making cloches out of milk bottles!

2 comments:

  1. Your crocosmia will spread. We have lots of perennial flowers in the garden which grow in spring and summer and then I cut them all back late autumn. Most of these plants spread or seed themselves so there's not much to do most of the time except cut back if they get too rampant. Bushes are good as they just get on with growing and all you have to do is cut back when necessary.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum,

      I think if the crocosmia spread much further they could engulf the house! I love them though. Thanks for your tips and for the fact you make it sound simple - some folk would have me believe it's magic :) Luckily we have bushes/trees already - two honeysuckle, two ornamental cherry, holly, two japonica (?) quince and things like that. I need low and mid height things I think... and a cutting device.

      Delete