Wednesday, 17 April 2013

Car, Kitchen, Bathroom

Along with the fully funded emergency fund we want/need to save up for a new car, a new bathroom and a new kitchen. We've had this car since 2008 so hopefully we'll have it for a few years yet - long enough to save for a new one. The kitchen was the cheapest of the cheap kitchen stuck in by the daughter of the previous owner for when this house was a rental - it's awful, I feel the cash draining from my bank account whenever I use the oven. the bathroom, well, other than the addition of a shower it's as old as the house, 45 years. It's in broadly feasible condition but there are a lot of cracked tiles, the bath has unattractive brown patches and it's just old and unloved. 

We won't borrow money for this kind of stuff so we have to save for it. Feels like a big task at the minute but I think we're just going to have to work on an every penny counts basis to get us there.

When we saved for our current car things were good, we used the cash from our debt snowball to pay for it so there was a little pain but not much. We lived in a cheap house and had a fair bit of cash sloshing about. We don't now. I think I'm being more than a bit optimistic to think these things will be done within 10 years but you never know, these things happen.

4 comments:

  1. Hi that sounds familiar . We painted the units in our kitchen but sometimes its not always possible to do that. We did get a new bathroom it was done on a shoe string budget. We never got round to double glazing here and now we are moving.
    I was looking on gumtree the other week and someone was giving away a lovely kitchen as someone was having a new one( the old one looked like a new one to me!). Living here as always felt like we are asset rich but cash poor hence the move. Sounds like you have the right idea waiting till you can save up and get the things done. I know sometimes its hard when we want things instantly! had a few of those x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've painted some bits of furniture before so I wouldn't mind doing that were it possible. It's one of those things where touching one thing would mean having to do a ton of other stuff so it's one of those occasions where it must be all or nothing.

      Plus I'm a brat and have a very specific look in mind. I'll keep an eye out on Gumtree though, that's a great idea, thanks.

      Delete
  2. ps take part in the 30 ways to save a pound money supermarket task. I did it on sunday and got paid £30.00 into paypal already (its not too late either) £30.00 towards the emergency fund. Go take a look!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe they actually pay people for that!

      Delete