Thursday, 18 April 2013

30 Ways To Save One Pound

This is just about how I feel, not being negative about the competition in general or anyone who has chosen to take advantage of the free cash!

It's virtually impossible to avoid this competition at the minute. So I've been thinking about it and I don't have 30 tips. Not 30 tips that apply to me. We've all read the same tips over and over and they're great inspiration but if I want to stick my name on something then I want it to be about things I actually do, not just any old thing just for the sake of it. 

We don't shop enough to cut stuff out, there's so much stuff that we just don't do that we couldn't save money on them, like drinking water instead of pop, ditching the daily coffee, taking a packed lunch instead of buying one out etc. If we spend money on something it's because that thing has earned a place in our budget, some of it is money saving, some of it we can pay for because we've done the big money saving things. We buy in a very deliberate way, we don't carry a surplus of food, craft materials, clothes etc, no matter how cheap they are.  As I've said before, we don't do lots of the stuff that frugal types do and I'm not going to pretend I do for £30. 

I suppose folk might think I'm daft to blow this up out of proportion and turn my back on free cash. But this is about representing myself and if I'm not being honest about what I do here then why write anything at all?

Challenge - find £30 extra for the change jar in the next month.

6 comments:

  1. I feel really bad now for mentioning it.
    sorry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooooo, don't feel bad. I appreciate you making me think about it.

      Reading everyone's lists has been really interesting, you can tell a lot from some of them - who likes eating out, who likes to find a way to get a shopping fix, who loves to cook, bake, garden, craft, make money, who has small children at home, who doesn't, who likes to get out and about, who is more a homebody. It's a really great way to get an insight into how everyone sees things.

      And that's what happened. I started to think about it and decided that it's not for me. Reflecting on my thoughts and feelings about things has been more important than the cash so I thank you!

      Delete
  2. Just saw you visited. I think I have to learn to stop being too enthusiastic about things!!( I get over excited!) as I can see I probably put you on the spot x .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never stop being (too) enthusiastic, always good to know passionate folk! You didn't put me on the spot, or maybe you did but not in a bad way. If it helps, it's impossible to make me feel obliged to do something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on you. I must say that all 30 of my tips, I can put my name to. I can see that you have your budget thoroughly under control which shows that you have a great handle on saving money so that you can afford the things you want to do and the things you want to buy. Will you be cutting back in order to save the extra £30 for next month?
    I will admit that I'm hoping that my entry for this competition is one in 500 and not the 501st entry. Call it greed or call it just another way to save money so I can spend it on the things I want or just put it away in my savings.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum. I enjoyed reading your list.

      I'm not sure what I'm going to do to save the £30. Probably a mixture of things - maybe a few very simple meals on the menu plan, maybe emptying my purse every time I've been shopping, maybe not spending the weekend budget one week. I have no idea but I'll see how close I can get.

      Delete