Tuesday, 5 March 2013

What I Will Do To Save Money - Part One

A few years back, right when we were nearing the end of our debt-free journey our washing machine stopped working. We could have eased up and had it fixed or bought a new one, but at that point we didn't want to deviate from the plan so we did without. From February to October other than a couple of trips to MILs with a load I hand washed everything in the bath.

I actually quite enjoyed it. 

The only slightly dodgy part was getting the very wet washing from the bathroom down the stairs and out into the garden to dry. But wash days were standardised, everything was planned and prioritised and that's how it went. I enjoyed sloshing the stuff around in the bath with the radio on. I won't say I wasn't happy to have the washing machine back but I think it was a little bit like making your own bread, there was something about handling the fabric and taking care of each little bit of the load that got me back in touch with the things I own and an appreciation of the time and effort I don't have to spend when the machine takes the strain. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi thanks for dropping in!. I think we are very lucky to have washing machines think of how time we save!. I know what you mean about handling the fabric,when I have a top that canonly be handwashed I seem to put much morelove in to it.Ps love your blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)

      You're right if I think about all the things we take for granted that can save us time and money we are so lucky. I guess it's the double edged sword of consumerism, it works for us but we run the risk of spending the time and money we save earning money to chase more stuff!

      Delete
  2. I think it is sometimes good when something breaks down as we learn to appreciate them more afterwards. Our shower at the cottage is out of order at the moment and I had to wash my hair over the sink with one of those rubber hose shower sprays that fits onto the taps like we had as students. My grandma lived her whole life without a shower and never had a washing machine only an old copper boiler as they were called. Eventually when she was in her eighties she acquired a spin drier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, we used to have one of those rubber things too, I always found it really convenient if I wanted to rinse something or just wash my hair or something. I might see if I can pick one up from somewhere.

      I was talking to my parents and Great Aunt a while ago and they were talking about the copper for heating water and things like that. My Mum also said that my Grandad would cycle home from work every day with a big block of ice wrapped in hessian and that would go onto the slab in the pantry to keep everything cool. My Grandmother had a twin tub until about 2004 and hated having an automatic machine.

      Delete
  3. I think we can learn a lot from our older generations.

    ReplyDelete