Tuesday, 26 March 2013

No Frills

Yesterday I carried on thinking about what I do or don't do to save money. A lot of the things we/I do are money saving but that's not the primary reason for doing or not doing them, it's just a positive side effect. 

I missed the lesson where folk learned to walk in high heeled shoes, where having nails done, wearing make up, ripping fur out of my body etc were explained. Even in the days when I spent a load of cash I didn't really enjoy shopping - it's hot, sweaty, tiring work. I avoid a lot of beauty products because I don't believe I need them - make up every day, colouring my hair, having my nails done, eyebrow removal (and then drawing the eyebrows back on). The bonus side of that is that I have avoided fads, although a few years ago I did want a Juicy Tube probably because of the name. 

I get my hair cut and I even own a hair dryer. I didn't until I met Dan, the device I use belonged to his ex-girlfriend, she chose well as it's at least 15 years old and it's still great. 

I clean myself. Dan and I share body wash, shampoo, deodorant, hair stuff, facewash and moisturiser. We have a stack of muslin cloths, a brown stone thing and a scrubby sponge. The brown stone thing is used to prop the door open more than for it's real use (whatever that is). The main reason we share is nothing to do with money it's that I can't stand having a load of bottles hanging about the place.

Rest assured we have a toothbrush each.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan to keep things to a minimum - I am using up all the old toiletries that I have acquired and never used. I am using hand lotion for my feet and old bubble bath / shower creams to soak them. In fact my feet are doing pretty well from my clear out and use up project. My cupboards are looking delightfully empty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea to get things used up.

      When I worked at the charity shop it was amazing how many gift sets we'd receive just after Christmas - all that body lotion and bubble bath unwanted by folk. It always sold really quickly and I wondered if the same few sets were going round and round every year!

      Delete