Tuesday, 19 March 2013

Frugal Dos and Don'ts

There's a bit of snobbery about isn't there? The frugaller than thou types, I love them. There's no point in just reading opinions I agree with because it doesn't lead me to the same reflection and learning. Not everyone is the same, what's frugal for my household of two people, two rabbits isn't going to be the same as my household growing up 5 people, one dog. Why would it be? There's no comparison. I know I'm judged as not a proper frugal person but there you go, it's about living the life we want, not slapping our bank statements out on the table. I'll start with the big one - 

We do have a credit card and use it all the time

I do use the envelope system for the grocery/household budget

I don't use Ebay, go to car boots, use freegle or buy much second hand stuff.

I don't buy many things

I do have a capsule wardrobe of 50 items (it was 48 but I bought new shoes recently)

I do use the library, I do love free books for the newly embraced kindle

I don't use discount supermarkets

I do use local shops where possible (even when it's more expensive)

I don't buy in bulk, use Approved Foods etc 

I do have a bit of paper with the special offer cycle written on

I don't grow my own food

I do eat the food Father has grown too much of!

I don't want to be self sufficient or live in the country

I do want to live in this house for the rest of my life

I don't use cling film, tin foil or food bags 

I do swap and share things with friends and family

I don't go on holiday

I do take advantage of the many free events that take place locally

I don't earn money

I do have an expensive hobby

I do have a couple of inexpensive hobbies

I don't ride a bike or drive a car

I do menu plan (and usually stick to it)

I do batch cook for the freezer

We don't overpay on our mortgage

We do save money like it's paying a bill each month



8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. Of course I've thought of a ton of other stuff - mainly after watching Superscrimpers and seeing the piece about perfume. I never wear it, must have saved Dan a fortune over the years as I don't like cut flowers either(other than from the garden). I am a natural romantic!

      Delete
  2. You sound very frugal! I do think you have to do the frugal thing your own way - not everyone is in the same place and it's all about balance and what works in your life. Like you, there are areas where I save which enable me to follow my other interests like playing the violin. I walk to work, menu plan, batch cook and use things until they wear out and fall apart - little things, but they all add up to quite reasonable savings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. As I think I've said before if we needed to tighten our belts then we would stop doing expensive things and start doing more free things. But I'm not one for doing it just for the sake of it.

      I love the fact you play the violin. I keep thinking I would like to be able to play an instrument - usually the ukulele but I think that's maybe because we always walk past a house where George Formby used to live :)

      Delete
  3. Could almost have the same list as you! I howled with laughter, lovely to read this, I get so fed up of the holier than thou frugalites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Glad I'm not alone with my list!

      Delete
  4. Love your list I am sure we could all produce a similar one but it would be quite different. I know what you mean though about everyone's idea of being frugal is different but I suppose that is what makes everyone's blogs interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I love it when folk talk about the tiny details of their day you get these little insights about how folk do things and all those bits and pieces we take for granted can be a surprise to someone else.

      Delete