Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Oldies but goodies.

This is probably cheating of the highest order but I'm going to share something I've been enjoying this morning. A wee while ago when we were all starting to get used to social networking and all that fun stuff a forum I used set up a social network of its own called "connect". And I had a blog. I've been reading some of my old entries and here's an example (for context it was when I'd just lost 3 stone and was getting into exercise, we'd just become debt free and were super frugal). Much of the rest of the blog is overly serious stuff about being frugal, tips, talk of vinegar and things like that. Or match reports from the 2007 rugby league season. But some make me ashamed of myself and laugh in equal measure - 


Have you ever seen yourself?

Saturday, June 2nd, 2007, 10:51 am GMT [the people]

We saw ourselves last night... Which means I have less than 24 hours to live if the rumour is true.
But they saw themselves too, we had a bit of a laugh about it then cringed uncontrollably. There we were doing the Friday big shop in Booths and I saw myself. Actually I heard him first but I knew it was us. So I slowly turned around, hardly daring to look but by the time we were loitering by the rye bread they'd caught up. And the four of us looked into each others eyes and we knew we had seen our dopplegangers.
If that had been that we might have all got away safe and sound, but no... because of course they were buying all the same things as us... I steered the real DH left at the organic eggs and headed towards the Ecover. "There's no eggs, will free range do?" said faux DH. Aaaargh, a twin couple and no organic eggs, things are going from bad to worse. The assault continued while I dallied between aloe vera and chamomile washing up liquid, faux me swooped in. I decided to leave it til next week.
Even at the checkout it continued, each spying on the other's stuff on the adjacent conveyor belts, granary bread, green&blacks, bogof crespo olives, organic milk. Oh hang on, they've no bags are they really going to use carrier bags..? No, asked for spare cardboard boxes, who will take the moral high ground? They even freeze their bread, same as us, Will I manage leave the shop with the right DH, please don't let them drive a Toyota... Must dig out that Alain de Botton book later, sort out my status anxiety... can settle down with my peach beer, just like the other me.
The only thing to choose between us was the organic sirloin steak... vegetarianism is our saviour... maybe we'll all live to fight another day, although we'll probably live longer if they carry on eating all that red meat. 


2 comments:

  1. I can't say I have ever seen myself - I have mistaken other people at times for someone I know and I was once mistaken for a missing girl who was later found murdered and had been reported to the police and I arrived home to two detectives on my doorstep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that must have been a shock!

    ReplyDelete